Almond oil is recommended as one of the best oils with medicinal benefits for hair and skin care. With its nutritional and beneficial properties, it is also enriched with some of the most influential therapeutic elements. The best part about it is the ability of giving the treatment at par with various renowned skin and hair care products. One can completely rely on it as it does t have any kind of side effects like other medicinal treatments.
Types of Almond Oil – Bitter and Sweet
As the name suggests, almond oil is extracted from almonds. Almonds are found in two categories called as bitter almonds and sweet almonds. Bitter almonds are bitter in taste and have a small amount of hydrogen cyanide which is highly poisonous in effect. However; sweet almonds are sweet in taste and eaten by people. It is also used for making almond oil, the highly effective remedy for skin and hair problems.
Bitter and Sweet Almonds for Topical Application
Both sweet and bitter types of almonds are enriched with therapeutical properties. However, as the ingestion of bitter almond in any form is deeply hazardous so, it is rarely used.
Medicinal Properties of Sweet Almonds
- Anti-Inflammatory – It helps in reducing any kind of inflammation inside the body.
- Anti-oxidant – It works as a powerful anti-oxidant and helps in eliminating the toxins.
- Immune Booster – Its daily intake boosts the immune system of the body.
- Anti-hepatotoxic – It eliminates the toxins from the body and especially used for detoxification of liver.
- Emollient – It moisturizes the body and eliminates excessively dry skin.
- Sclerosant – It is very effective in the treatment of vascular issues like hemorrhoids, spider veins and varicose veins.
- Laxative – It helps in relieving constipation and is considered to be a mild laxative without any kind of side effects.
- Analgesic – Almond oil is also enriched with pain relieving properties.
- Muscle Relaxation – Regular massage with almond oil gives relief from stressed and sore muscles.
- Cicatrizant – It helps in healing a wound.
- Anti-dandruff –It helps in removal of dandruff from hair.
Benefits of Sweet Almond Oil for Skin
Almond oil can be used as a general natural skin care ingredient. Let’s discuss the benefits of almond oil for skin in brief:
- Acts as Skin Moisturiser – As an effective emollient, almond oil provides moisture to the skin. For attaining maximum benefits, one can apply it immediately after taking bath.
- Gives Freedom from Dry and Dull skin – Using almond oil for skin massage heals dry skin condition and regular application help in getting rid of cracks in skin.
- Heals Chapped Lips – Using almond oil for chapped lips gives the fastest result. Its fast healing properties combined with its sweet taste is loved by all.
- Gives Smooth and Glowing Skin – Regular application of almond oil gives smooth skin making it elastic and uniform in texture. It also brings a glow on the skin making it appear shinier and healthier.
- Treats Psoriasis, Dermatitis and Eczema – Usage of almond oil by people suffering from psoriasis, eczema and dermatitis helps in healing the damaged skin fast.
- Removes Makeup Gently – Almond oil works is used for gentle removal of the make up. One can take a few drops of almond oil on a cotton ball and wipe the face gently. It gives an instant fresh look to the skin.
- Medicinal Massage Oil – Almond oil is popularly recognized as effective massage oil and is widely used by massage therapists for its medicinal properties. It is loved for its thin and light characteristic which gets it absorbed on the surface of the skin and spread easily.
- Smoothes out Wrinkles and Sagging Skin – Massaging almond oil directly on the face smoothes out wrinkles and also helps in reducing sagging skin.
- Removes Dark Eye Circles and Reduces Eye Strain – Applying a few drops of almond oil under the eyes and gently massaging the under eye skin boosts blood circulation near the eyes help in reducing dark circles and eye strain.
- Heals Stretch Marks and Scars – Using a few drops of almond oil regularly on post operative scars or on stretch marks can reduce it to a large extent with in a month’s time.
Benefits of Sweet Almond Oil for Hair
Here is a brief description of the medicinal usage of almond oil for hair:
- Removes Dandruff – Regular application of almond oil in hair curbs the flakiness and dandruff which is caused by dry scalp condition. Most of the dandruff from the hair is removed within three times usage.
- Moisturises Dry scalp – Almond oil moisturizes dry and parched scalps and thus helps in getting rid of the problem of dandruff beforehand.
- Gives Shiny Hair – Massage of a small amount of almond oil makes the hair shinier and healthier. For making it more effective, the oil can be applied in wet hair.
- Detangles Hair – Application of a few drops of almond oil detangles hair and helps in preventing hair loss due to tangled hair.
- Removes Split Ends – A few drops of almond oil applied to hair helps in removing split ends, a problem which is suffered by most of the people with long hair nowadays.
- Hot Oil Treatment with Almond Oil – Hot oil treatment is done by warming the oil and massaging it on the scalp. After that, the scalp is covered with a shower cap. Then, the hair is washed off after leaving the oil for 2-3 hours. This treatment gives deep conditioning to hair making it soft and healthy. Following this process once a week can also prove to be helpful in promoting hair growth.